Everyone’s world gets turned upside down when a new baby is brought home. Now, it’s important as a new Mom to not forget our other creatures that we love so much. More specifically, our dog pals. The most successful way to transition our furry friends to having a baby in the house is to start prepping during pregnancy.
- Prepare him for his space to be invaded.
Touch the dogs ears. Play around with his tail. Toddlers do not know boundaries. Try to get the dog comfortable with a loving invasion of privacy.
- If the dog’s sleeping arrangment or eating arrangement is going to change due to the new addition. Try and change it during pregnancy.
- Prepare yourself mentally that they may possible be very sad. Maybe your dog will lay on the bed all day and look like he is about to record a country album. Maybe he won’t care at all? It’s really a crapshoot.
- Have your partner bring home a onesie or blanket that the baby has used during your stay at the hospital. This is a pretty consistent tip any pet specialist would recommend. Anything to make baby and baby dog’s first meet and greet more successful is worth doing. What’s the downside?
- Try to give them extra love whenever you get a chance. Try and put yourself in his shoes! This just happened:
The most important piece to remember is that big life transitions take time.
It took a full year for Bandit to really process that this small person was not leaving. That this was his new life. Don’t worry though! Ben & El Bandito eventually became the best of friends.
by the second baby Bandit thought he was the Mother.